Issues facing Oklahoma Teachers
November 25, 2014
Posted by on
At a recent conference, we asked Oklahoma P12 teachers for their comments about issues they’re facing. Here are some of their responses:
- Schools are struggling to hire qualified teachers.
- [We need] to treat teachers with respect and pay them what they deserve!
- We should NOT be #50 [rank in teacher pay per state] in the nation!
- Give teachers autonomy, room to innovate, money for improving and developing, and provide them with technology and access to be innovative.
- We need to keep trying new technologies!
- Students are struggling with reading for understanding, memorization, and effective searching & evaluation of information sources.
- Preservice teachers should be working more with non-classroom teachers, like librarians, GT teachers, and others.
What issues do you see or hear about in schools? In what ways could Colleges of Education help address those issues?