May 19, 2014
Posted by on
During our inaugural Un-meeting Monday session, we discussed professional affiliations as tribes to which we (want to) belong and where faculty fit in regards to discipline and university (institution).
consider these “why’s” of professional affiliation:
- shared values
- sameness vs. otherness
- shared language
- no need to mediate
- professional becomes personal
- unwritten contract of expectations (severe/punitive)
- benefits of affiliation (paths/conduits)
- knowledge production & protection
- different evidence counts
if we see our professional affiliations as tribes to which we want to belong, there exists a continuum between Discipline as our tribe and University/institution as our tribe.
where do you fall along that continuum? why? what affiliations matter most to you?